Little Richard News Forum
Talking about Little Richard!

Home » Public Forums » Little Richard » Grammy Awards
Grammy Awards [message #1603] Thu, 07 February 2008 09:35 Go to next message
Michael Robinson is currently offline  Michael Robinson
Just saw this news report:

CREEDENCE CLEARWATER REVIVAL founder JOHN FOGERTY will perform with rock 'n' roll greats LITTLE RICHARD and JERRY LEE LEWIS at the Grammy Awards on Sunday (10Feb08).
The trio will headline a Cornerstones Of Rock segment during the 50th annual event, which will take place at the Staples Center in Los Angeles.

http://www.pr-inside.com/fogerty-lewis-amp-little-richard-ar e-r423248.htm

Michael
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1604 is a reply to message #1603] Thu, 07 February 2008 20:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Maybe the true King will show JF how to really sing Travelin' Band. Great tip!
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1609 is a reply to message #1603] Sat, 09 February 2008 03:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
THAT'S A SLAP IN THE FACE FOR LITTLE RICHARD OR JERRY LEE TO HAVE TO PERFORM WITH JOHN FOGERTY. YEA HE GOT A FEW HITS, BUT THAT WAS WITH HIM AND THE BAND CREEDENCE. THEY BOTH SHOULD HAVE THEIR OWN SPOT ON THE SHOW, WHAT'S THE DEAL, HE HAS A NEW CD COMMING OUT AND HE NEED THE HYPE OF TO ICONS TO HELP PROMOTE IT?I'M SURE THEY CAN ROCK A HOUSE BETTER THAN SUM OF THE YOUNGER ACTS THAT THE GRAMMIES WILL EVER HAVE ON THEIR SHOW!!!

Re: Grammy Awards [message #1610 is a reply to message #1609] Sat, 09 February 2008 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buck18 is currently offline  Buck18
Hey, we all know that Fogerty is not an icon like Richard, but anything that gets The Once & Future King in front of a huge worldwide tv audience is ok with me. One could argue that Fogerty is showing respect. Anyway, I never watch the Grammies (such stupid stuff), but I will this Sunday!
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1613 is a reply to message #1610] Sat, 09 February 2008 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NJCRN is currently offline  NJCRN
Add Nurse Nancy to the list. Never watch the Grammies, but will surely do so tomorrow. As previously mentioned, I, too, would much prefer to see Richard backed by his oh so awesome band. For those of you who haven't seen them...sorry for you!Still and all, it means so amny people will see the architect! Nurse Nancy

Richard Lover!
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1620 is a reply to message #1603] Sun, 10 February 2008 05:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Well, according to some of Richard's bandmember's myspace-pages, they will at least be there. So, what would they do on the Grammy Awards if they wouldn't play with Richie?

Mattias
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1624 is a reply to message #1603] Mon, 11 February 2008 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
THEY ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish I taped it Sad
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1628 is a reply to message #1624] Mon, 11 February 2008 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Richard was great. He looked trim, slim and fit. His piano playing was on the mark and his voice was excellant. One could tell he did not like having to use Fogerty's small combo over his own big band, and he did not like Fogerty hogging a couple of verses of his hit "Good Golly, Miss Molly". However, his performance was amazing compared to Jerry Lee Lewis. Lewis was bloated, fat, dressed like a street bum, and his voice and piano playing were uninspired. Richard's performance was very inspirational.
Paul.
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1629 is a reply to message #1628] Mon, 11 February 2008 18:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
debb35 is currently offline  debb35

Re: Grammy Awards [message #1630 is a reply to message #1628] Mon, 11 February 2008 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
It goes without saying, I hope the Ferriday Fireball is fine. He didn't sing or play much.

Richard was in position - to take the show from John & Jerry Lee, which is what he did. That *was* a pretty cool tune from Fogerty, but I don't understand why he reprised it.

The finale should have been Travelin' Band with all three.

Because of the staging, Richard had to sing out to his left, but whatever was happening, that was one of the best GGMMs I've ever heard - certainly one of the best in over 10 years! He absolutely nailed the stop-time part, and his voice resonated with Soul. A good mix with a heathy dose of echo. Gotta say, the Networks outdo Cable when the chips are down.

Beau
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1631 is a reply to message #1630] Tue, 12 February 2008 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Anonymous wrote on Mon, 11 February 2008 23:35

It goes without saying, I hope the Ferriday Fireball is fine. He didn't sing or play much.

Richard was in position - to take the show from John & Jerry Lee, which is what he did. That *was* a pretty cool tune from Fogerty, but I don't understand why he reprised it.

The finale should have been Travelin' Band with all three.

Because of the staging, Richard had to sing out to his left, but whatever was happening, that was one of the best GGMMs I've ever heard - certainly one of the best in over 10 years! He absolutely nailed the stop-time part, and his voice resonated with Soul. A good mix with a heathy dose of echo. Gotta say, the Networks outdo Cable when the chips are down.

Beau

Beau, I was thinking the same thing, hoping that Mr.Lewis is fine in health.. I was just wondering why Mr. Fogerty didn't interupt Mr. Lewis singing, like he did with Mr. Richard. By the way I really ENJOY all of your educated sincere comments and wanted to share with you some material & info regarding your b-day posting of "the greatest Rock & Roll story ever told" to King Richard. If you don't mind, please email me at deb7773@aol.com.

Regards,
Debbie P.
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1632 is a reply to message #1631] Tue, 12 February 2008 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NJCRN is currently offline  NJCRN
Richard ROCKED! Agree with you all...have to go to work now...more later. Hi, Deb...Nurse Nancy

Richard Lover!
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1633 is a reply to message #1632] Tue, 12 February 2008 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A magnificent, show-stealing performance indeed! John Fogerty did his best to keep up, but no one can match the true King in full flight. Richard's voice came over amazingly.

Michael
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1634 is a reply to message #1632] Tue, 12 February 2008 17:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1635 is a reply to message #1633] Tue, 12 February 2008 17:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1636 is a reply to message #1635] Tue, 12 February 2008 19:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Unless I missed something, I thought that more could have been said about Ike Turner. It appears that as great an artist as he was, at home he was miserable and abusive, sometimes physically. No public displays of talent can cloud that.

However, if Tina can get a huge production number on the show, and her name is strongly associated with Ik's, then something like "Ladies and gentleman of the Academy, and everyone out there, I'd like to say a few words about my husband, Ike Turner". [boos of course] "Please listen. Nobody knows more than I about the physical and psychic pain possible in a bad realtionship. But a strong contributing factor to my appearance here tonight is the vision of this man. He had pain in his life, too".

Am I going too "MGM" here?

By the way, Ike's autobiography, the title of which escapes me now, has about a *7* page introduction by Little Richard!

Beau
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1637 is a reply to message #1636] Tue, 12 February 2008 21:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buck18 is currently offline  Buck18
It goes without saying that I was moved and uplifted by Richard's performance. These moments occur very seldomly in music (I think back to Joe Cocker's reverential reference to "rock n' roll" after the end of one his tunes on "Mad Dogs & Englishmen"). Rilly magical, but Richard continues to bring the magic whenever he performs.

Must disagree regarding Tina and Ike Turner. First, teaming Tina with Beyonce was a mistake---especially since Beyonce looked bad before her costume change (she has fat legs---you can't deny it----a great booty, but fat legs nevertheless, and that glitzed up panty she was wearing accentuated them). She looked much better after they put a little skirt on her. This was tacky in the extreme, as was most of the Grammy telecast, but what else is new.

Second, Ike Turner, in my view, was merely a pro working musician who surrounded himself with lots of talent. Many of the things he did were actually performed by Mickey Baker (of Mickey & Sylvia)---this goes all the way back to the Sue days, and "I Think It's Gonna Work Out Fine." Also: it is indeed very "A Star is Born" to put Ike Turner in the same category as Norman Main. Just doesn't compute. A sweet thought, but Tina did not want to go there.
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1638 is a reply to message #1636] Tue, 12 February 2008 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1639 is a reply to message #1637] Tue, 12 February 2008 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
Re: Grammy Awards [message #1640 is a reply to message #1639] Wed, 13 February 2008 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Richard has consistently paid tribute to Ike Turner's influence. And in Ike's biography, Taking Back My Name, which has the introduction by Little Richard, Ike recalls how, when he was released from prison in the early 1990s, Little Richard was waiting for him and gave him some cash to help him get started again. That says a lot about Richard.

Michael
Previous Topic: The Grammy performance
Next Topic: Feature article
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 12 22:50:44 EEST 2021

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02076 seconds