Little Richard News Forum
Talking about Little Richard!

Home » Public Forums » Little Richard » Kennedy Center Honoree?
Kennedy Center Honoree? [message #1714] Tue, 04 March 2008 05:30 Go to next message
Buck18 is currently offline  Buck18
Beau mentions, in another thread, that LR got a Lifetime Achievement Award from the Grammies some time back. Is there any possibility at all to start some kind of groundswell for him to be honored at the Kennedy Center? Truly, no one deserves it more, not only for his seminal influence on popular music, but also because, after admittedly chasing after every sin in the book, Richard turned his life around and, as far as I know, has remained a spiritual and uplifting person. Whether he is judged by what he sings, the respect (dare I say, love) of the entire entertainment community, or the outright joy and energy he brings to his live performances, this man is an American Original and should be recognized as such.

This may be just a dream, but it is a wonderful dream. And, to quote one of my favorite old standards, "I Can Dream, Can't I?"
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree? [message #1715 is a reply to message #1714] Tue, 04 March 2008 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NJCRN is currently offline  NJCRN
Let me know what I can do do help...Nurse Nancy

Richard Lover!
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree? [message #1716 is a reply to message #1714] Tue, 04 March 2008 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beau Z. is currently offline  Beau Z.
That's a great thought. I just hope the evening wouldn't close with a group sing of "Good Golly, Miss Molly". If Broadway quality artists would perform "No Place Like Home", "He's Not Just A Soldier", "Freedom Blues", "He Got What He Wanted (But He Lost What He Had)", "I Don't Know What You've Got (But It's Got Me)" in the production number, along with classics like "Jenny, Jenny", "Slippin' And Slidin', and "Miss Ann", it would be that much more memorable. (I think many fans feel that "Molly" could use a rest. Also, some of the lyrics, okay for the '50s, didn't travel comfortably into the '70s, and beyond).

Buck, your supporting rationale was perfect.

Beau
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree? [message #1718 is a reply to message #1716] Tue, 04 March 2008 19:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beau: Thanks for the kind words. Is there some way to try to really make this happen, or is it just a pipe dream? Timo, is there some mailing list or other source whereby we can write to those in charge of the Kennedy Center Awards to try to get this going? How about BMI, or the NAACP, both of whom have saluted The Once and Future King. Wouldn't it be great?
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree? [message #1720 is a reply to message #1718] Tue, 04 March 2008 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agree with Beau that your rationale is spot on...whatever I can do to be of assistance is yours. What a grand thing this will be...Nancy

Richard Lover!
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree?/OK--progressAddress [message #1722 is a reply to message #1720] Tue, 04 March 2008 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm a little bulldog once an idea grabs me. Regular people can nominate people for the awards, though most of the time the Kennedy Center folks and former honorees make the decision.

Still, they will accept nominations by letter (real letters, not emails) at the following address:

The Kennedy Center Honors
The John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts
2700 F Street NW
Washington, D.C. 20566 (just realized didn't have zipcode)

We have lots of people on this site. If we start sending letters with our own reasons why he should be honored, who knows.....
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree?/OK--progressAddress [message #1723 is a reply to message #1722] Wed, 05 March 2008 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buck (and Timo as well)...if Richard's permission is granted, what about a flyer to be available at his concerts with the idea and address so those present would be able to add their voice? Nancy

Richard Lover!
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree?/OK--progressAddress [message #1724 is a reply to message #1723] Wed, 05 March 2008 16:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
NJCRN wrote on Wed, 05 March 2008 12:16

Buck (and Timo as well)...if Richard's permission is granted, what about a flyer to be available at his concerts with the idea and address so those present would be able to add their voice? Nancy

This should be something that Mr. Richard shouldn't have to be involved to get or "grant permission at concerts..." His only involvment should be sitting at the Kennedy Center being honored.
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree?/OK--progressAddress [message #1725 is a reply to message #1722] Wed, 05 March 2008 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous

Hello Buck,

Thanks so much for the info. It is soooo much appreciated. I haven't been online for a while.. hello Beau...
Thanks again for the information. My opinion, I feel it is good that we do write to the Kennedy Center directly and not make too much fuss about it in front of Little Richard because it shouldn't have to be like that. He is long due for this award and Mr. Rob Donison, has emphasized it many times.

Best Regards,

Debbie P.
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree?/OK--progressAddress [message #1727 is a reply to message #1723] Thu, 06 March 2008 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, the Award should be a "given", but something tells me that the best thing is to compose personal land mail correspondence, to hopefully make it a reality.

Little Richard deserves the Award for many reasons including Socially, Culturally, and Artistically.

This man asserted his identity and uniqueness, and made *integration* a reality at his shows and in all the show business environs. His image was a positive prototype for artists in other fields, as well, and he gave us the equivalent of the first Rock and Roll videos in the Alan Freed movies, in which, of course, he was the real Star (all due respect to Alan Freed). He was the *musical* star of the greatest Rock and Roll movie ever made, "The Girl Can't Help It". And concerning Art, "Ready Teddy" annihilated all that came before, a new genre, a new industry, today they call it a new Demographic, opening new vistas for the imagination, driven by Youthful exuberance. New occupational titles were added to the job market; new ways of communicating with our neighbors, locally, and across the planet, were realized, through the unifying properties of music with a beat...and which spoke to the widest possible audience.

The careers that Little Richard started, or guided, is well-documented. See the works of Charles Dr. Rock White, Paul MacPhail; read up on many appraisals by Rolling Stone Magazine writers, as well. This can certainly enhance the proposal.

Musical Food-for-thought:

First Rock and Roll Record

First Musical Integrationist

First Contemporary Christian Artist

First R & R Artist to mix Jazz with Rock

First R & R Artist to use "Heavy Metal" effects

First "Glam" R & R Artist

can you add some more?

Beau
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree?/OK--progressAddress [message #1729 is a reply to message #1725] Thu, 06 March 2008 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that thought, Deb...I guess Ijust got overenthusiastic at 5:15 AM...Nancy

Richard Lover!
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree?/OK--progressAddress [message #1730 is a reply to message #1727] Thu, 06 March 2008 19:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beau: My letter has already gone (landmail) because I was caught up in my own enthusiasm. My letter echoed my first post in this thread. Your information can certainly add more reasons to the multitude of contributions LR has made---but I think it is extremely important to point out what a positive force he has become after changing his life around. America loves a happy ending and an uplifting story (dishwasher becomes worldwide cultural influence, etc.)
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree?/OK--progressAddress [message #1731 is a reply to message #1730] Fri, 07 March 2008 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're right. I wouldn't want my list to supercede the "personal" growth of the artist which is an inspiration, though the "musical integrationist" is also an invaluable contribution.

Beau
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree?/OK--progressAddress [message #1733 is a reply to message #1731] Fri, 07 March 2008 01:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi, people...I will be composing my letter over the weekend...when I will be in Pennsylvania to see the True King at work! Leaving tomorrow morning and will fill you all in on Sunday when I get back...Nurse Nancy!

Richard Lover!
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree?/OK--progressAddress [message #1734 is a reply to message #1733] Fri, 07 March 2008 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi First Nurse,

Have a great, safe roundtrip!

If you "feel it", the Richard exhortation in a hit record on the Modern label - see the wiki - then shout out "Richard, sing 'Steal Miss Liza'!!!".

Actually, there's pressure in that. On second thought, just enjoy the show - I should say the Experience!.

Beau
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree?/OK--progressAddress [message #1735 is a reply to message #1727] Fri, 07 March 2008 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
donison is currently offline  donison
Another Important FIRST -

According to James Brown and the rock n Roll Hall of Fame, Little Richard was the first to put THA FUNK in the Rock n Roll beat (via his saxaphone-studded mid-50s road band)!!!

And what about First to inject the wild screams before the solos?? The Life And Times of Little Richard (2002) by Charles White mentions this and a number of other firsts, as well...

Rob Donison
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree?/OK--progressAddress [message #1736 is a reply to message #1725] Fri, 07 March 2008 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
donison is currently offline  donison
Thanks for the kind acknowledgment, Deb, on the Kennedy Centre Honor idea. I couldn't think of any other award left that he seems so deserving to receive, aside from the Presidential Medal of Freedom (America's highest civil award) that we talked about last year. This would be awarded for meritorious achievement in the arts to Brother Richard, as it was for Aretha recently.

The Presidential Medal of Freedom is awarded annually by the President of the United States to individuals selected by him or recommended to him by the Distinguished Civilian Service Awards Board. More info: http://www.medaloffreedom.com

It would be wonderful if Brother Richard received both, although I keep remembering when he received the Hollywood Walk of Fame Award, he stated that he is just happy that his name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life. Hmmm... a Crown of Glory and a crown of gold would both be nice...

Rob Donison
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree?/OK--progressAddress [message #1737 is a reply to message #1735] Fri, 07 March 2008 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On *record*, it seems that Clyde MacPhatter and Hank Ballard did let out a non-verbal joyful utterance to call in the solo, prior to 1955.

However, it's quite conceivable that Little Richard *did it all* in Clubs starting as far back as, say, 1950!

Listen to the piano on "Little Richard's Boogie", for example, cut in 1953 with Johnny Otis. With all respect to JO, his chimes (?) took up alot of sonic space where Richard's high keys would have fit in nicely. Richard is *rockin'* his heart out on this uptempo cut, which coulda-shoulda.

Regarding Rock and Roll theatrics, who was the first guy to climb a curtain, walk the speakers, jump into the audience, send his band into the crowd, jump atop a piano, play that instrument both melodically and percussively in a hard, demonstrative way? Who was the first to invite the joyous throngs right up on stage to dance?

He danced across the stage, threw away his gear; made the show an "athletic" experience as well, which, to me, paved the way for "jazzerobics", if my spelling is correct. I'll take it a step further, he was the first to do the "Chippendales" thing - a partial striptease for the ladies in the audience.
Imagine a dude inspiring everyone from Muhammad Ali to Paul McCartney to Tom Jones to Iggy Pop? It's unbelievable.

Beau
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree?/OK--progressAddress [message #1738 is a reply to message #1736] Sat, 08 March 2008 19:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
donison wrote on Fri, 07 March 2008 09:43

Thanks for the kind acknowledgment, Deb, on the Kennedy Centre Honor idea. I couldn't think of any other award left that he seems so deserving to receive, aside from the Presidential Medal of Freedom (America's highest civil award) that we talked about last year. This would be awarded for meritorious achievement in the arts to Brother Richard, as it was for Aretha recently.

The Presidential Medal of Freedom is awarded annually by the President of the United States to individuals selected by him or recommended to him by the Distinguished Civilian Service Awards Board. More info: http://www.medaloffreedom.com

It would be wonderful if Brother Richard received both, although I keep remembering when he received the Hollywood Walk of Fame Award, he stated that he is just happy that his name is written in the Lamb's Book of Life. Hmmm... a Crown of Glory and a crown of gold would both be nice...

Rob Donison

That is right, Rob, you had mentioned to me your great desire for Mr. Richard to receive the Presidential Medal Award. Thanks for the info on how what he commented after he received the Hollywood Walk of Fame Award, I can totally hear him saying that and meaning it with his whole heart! In regards to all the awards that he is long due for, I believe that it would be nice if artists like Sir Paul McCartney, David Bowie, Mick Jagger... would all also contribute by voicing their word of how unfair it is that King Richard hasn't been invited yet to get his long due awards. Perhaps if we wrote to the reps maybe it would help, after all King Richard :helped, inspired.."them all to be so successful.

Debbie Pilarte
Re: Kennedy Center Honoree? [message #1768 is a reply to message #1714] Fri, 14 March 2008 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
briancorll is currently offline  briancorll
I'm with you on this one ! Little Richard has been passed over too many times. I'll join any grass roots movement to get him the honor while he's still on Earth to be honored !
Previous Topic: R.I.A.A. Gold Record award for "Baby Face"?
Next Topic: True Fine Mama? The Hawks?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 12 21:14:34 EEST 2021

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01875 seconds