Little Richard News Forum
Talking about Little Richard!

Home » Public Forums » Little Richard » Shindig!
Shindig! [message #1897] Sat, 10 May 2008 14:40 Go to next message
timo is currently offline  timo
Administrator
Richard's wild and ultra rare Shindig performance in YouTube.
Bama Lama Bama Loo
Whole Lotta Shakin'

Timo
Re: Shindig! [message #1898 is a reply to message #1897] Sat, 10 May 2008 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beau Z. is currently offline  Beau Z.
Super great quality clips of material, which for whatever season, has been missing.

BLML in a faster, different arrangement from the hit single (Top 20 in England, Top 100 back home).

Shakin'....what can you say? Probably the most exciting musical performance ever captured on film. Interesting that it's presumed that Mr. Delaney Bramlett is in the backup group on the show - ofcourse he did alot of Richard material in the Delaney & Bonnie & Friends era.

Looks like all that's left is the show opener, Joy, Joy, Joy.

Beau
Re: Shindig! [message #1899 is a reply to message #1898] Sun, 11 May 2008 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Why Little Richard's performance on the Shindig pilot was never broadcast:-

Source:- Wikipedia & TV doco on Jack Good

Jack Good was a pioneer television and music producer who produced the Six-Five Special, Oh Boy!, Wham! and Boy Meets Girls TV series, the first UK teenage music programmes. Jack Good introduced and managed a number of the UK's first rock and roll stars including, Tommy Steele, Marty Wilde, Billy Fury, Jess Conrad and Cliff Richard. He has also worked with Elvis Presley and The Beatles. Brian Epstein commissioned Good to produce Around the Beatles, the first major TV showcase for the Beatles and Epstein's other artists.

Good was also a pop star in his own right, and recorded for Decca Records in the late 1950s under the name Lord Rockingham's XI[citation needed]. Their hit singles included "Fried Onions" plus the more famous UK Singles Chart #1, "Hoots Mon".

In the early 1960s he wrote a column for Disc, a UK weekly pop newspaper.

Moving to the U.S., he was responsible for the hit show Shindig!. He has also been a theatrical producer, with hit shows such as Catch My Soul, Oh Boy! and Elvis to his credit.

He converted to Roman Catholicism and until recently lived in New Mexico, completely devoting his time to Christianity and icon painting.

There has been much debate as to why Richard's rumoured perforance on Shindig was never seen at the time. In a lengthy doco on his life a few years ago, the eccentric genius Jack Good stated that Richard's appearance on the Shindig pilot was so wild that TV bosses elected not to broadcast it.

Glenn (Melbourne, Australia)
Re: Shindig! [message #1900 is a reply to message #1899] Sun, 11 May 2008 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timo is currently offline  timo
Administrator
According to the Shindig episode guide, Richard was on the third pilot that was aired on the day it was recorded in '64. Unbelievable if they aired it, but removed him.

Timo
Re: Shindig! [message #1902 is a reply to message #1900] Sun, 11 May 2008 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard did 3 tunes on that show. If he was edited out, who filled that time? He was obviously seen during the end-credits, too.

As I understand it, this "official" pilot was telecast, with 3 LR songs, but there was "concern" (during those segregationist times) that sustained close-ups of a young, male African-American entertainer would be difficult to "sell" to certain consumer groups (euphemistically speaking).

Of course, Richard should have been on Shindig as many times as Jerry Lee Lewis. I believe JLL's "Greatest Live Show On Earth" album sales could have been helped by such exposure.

Beau

Re: Shindig! [message #1903 is a reply to message #1902] Mon, 12 May 2008 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buck18 is currently offline  Buck18
Well, I just saw the two clips and if anyone can deny that Richard is indeed the True King of Rock n' Roll after seeing them, well, they are not watching. Seeing Richard tear it up on "Whole Lotta Shaking" is to experience what Walt Whitman (I think) called the "barbaric yawp" of American culture! And watching him drive that mostly white audience and the dancers on stage to the brink of madness is to watch a sea change in American life, opening up the door (for good or for ill) to the crazy, ecstatic 1960s and breaking down the doors of self-conciousness and the ego, and opening up life to liberation. We are still reaping the rewards---and paying the price. Little Richard was one dangerous dude, but God bless him!
Re: Shindig! [message #1904 is a reply to message #1903] Mon, 12 May 2008 20:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh my Soul!

Beau
Re: Shindig! [message #1905 is a reply to message #1904] Tue, 13 May 2008 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buck18 is currently offline  Buck18
Beau: I couldn't have put it better myself!
Re: Shindig! [message #1916 is a reply to message #1897] Tue, 20 May 2008 20:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Those clips are just awesome !
Re: Shindig! [message #1917 is a reply to message #1916] Tue, 20 May 2008 22:36 Go to previous message
Shout Factory! - Rhino! - Time-Life! - go! go! go!
Previous Topic: Europe 2008
Next Topic: Summer Schedule?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Apr 12 22:36:42 EEST 2021

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00733 seconds