Little Richard News Forum
Talking about Little Richard!

Home » Public Forums » Little Richard » Top ten non-Specialty tracks?
Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5154] Wed, 11 April 2012 02:59 Go to next message
Richard
Apologies if this has been asked before, I imagine it has. I'd also be surprised to find too many replies without "I Don't Know..." in them.

I'm still thinking of mine, what are yours?
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5155 is a reply to message #5154] Wed, 11 April 2012 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goodrocking is currently offline  goodrocking

Peacock: I Love My baby

End: Certainly, Lord

Mercury: He Got What He Wanted (But He Lost What He Had)

Atlantic: Hole In The Wall

Vee Jay: I Don't Know What you've Got (But It's Got Me)

Modern: Holy Mackeral

Okeh: (You're My Girl) I Don't Want To Discuss It

Brunswick: Can I Count On You?

Reprise: Freedom Blues

Manticore: Steal Miss Liza (Steal Liza Jane)

Thanks!
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5156 is a reply to message #5155] Wed, 11 April 2012 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard
You wouldn't be tempted to have more than one from a particular label?
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5157 is a reply to message #5156] Thu, 12 April 2012 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you gave me 30 slots, I'd love to list my faves with more than one from the various labels. For example, the Vee Jay "Lawdy, Miss Clawdy" and "Going Home Tomorrow" are works of art, to me. Thanks!!
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5158 is a reply to message #5157] Thu, 12 April 2012 03:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard
I just heard "Travellin' Shoes" for the very first time today, which I thought was terrific.
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5159 is a reply to message #5158] Fri, 13 April 2012 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What a great record. First heard it in '81/'82. Did not know of it until I read John Garodkin's first LR book.

We can only hope this year or next it will come out on CD!
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5161 is a reply to message #5154] Sat, 14 April 2012 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Robinson is currently offline  Michael Robinson
Not sure I can manage ten. Maybe twenty...

I'm In Love Again (Little Star)
He Got What He Wanted (Mercury)
Lawdy Miss Clawdy (Vee Jay)
Going Home Tomorrow (Vee Jay)
Hound Dog (Vee Jay)
I Don't Know What You've Got (Vee Jay)
Directly From My Heart (Modern)
Do You Feel It (Modern)
Get Down With It (Columbia/OKeh)
She's Together (Brunswick)
Baby Don't You Tear My Clothes (Brunswick)
Freedom Blues (Reprise)
Dew Drop Inn (Reprise)
Spreadin' Natta What's The Matter (Reprise)
Green Power (Reprise)
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry (Reprise)
Open Up The Red Sea (Reprise)
In The Middle Of The Night (Greene Mountain)
Great Gosh A'Mighty (MCA)
Get Rhythm (Sony)

But even this list would be different if I were to do it again on another day.

Michael
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5162 is a reply to message #5161] Sun, 15 April 2012 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool list. You mean the single version of DIRECTLY..?

Yeah, that OPEN UP THE RED SEA is amazing. What a shame it could not be released on the 2nd or 3rd Reprise albums, or as a single. It should have come out around the time that Elvis, Chuck, and Ricky had number one hits in 1972; also for CROCODILE ROCK and YOUR MAMA DON'T DANCE, etc. I guess MOCKINBIRD SALLY was the Reprise choice, which in retrospect, wasn't bad. I think OPEN UP was 5 times better but...c'est la vie. Just a little look-back on Richard and what might have been.

On that theme, it's interesting that so many LR fans list non-hits as favorites!
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5163 is a reply to message #5162] Sun, 15 April 2012 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And I didn't have room for Money Honey, I'm Back, Baby Don't You Want A Man Like Me, Poor Dog, Greenwood Mississippi, Operator, Something Else with Tanya Tucker... etc. And many other fine gospel tracks.

Directly From My Heart on Modern - I guess the single version if that's the one that's slightly longer. But either will do.

Yes, Open Up The Red Sea is a gem and it's strange we had to wait three decades to hear it.

Richard has given us many wonderful records in addition to his great hits.

Michael
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5164 is a reply to message #5163] Sun, 15 April 2012 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard
I'm still working through mine, but I think his Reprise period was probably his strongest post-Specialty era - agree/disagree?

I'd have Freedom Blues in there, but I also like his cover of Born on the Bayou.
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5165 is a reply to message #5164] Mon, 16 April 2012 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree the Reprise period produced probably his best and most creative set of recordings after Specialty. But there are great records from all periods and most labels.

Brown Sugar is another fine cover from the King of Rock and Roll album.

Michael
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5166 is a reply to message #5165] Mon, 16 April 2012 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard
I really like the Okeh stuff, too. Veejay isn't bad, but is obviously more known for weakly produced remakes of his hits.

I'll add Hurry Sundown and Poor Dog to my list, I think.
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5167 is a reply to message #5164] Tue, 17 April 2012 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talkin' 'bout Reprise: I think Born on the Bayou is one his greatest tracks. Maybe his best "recitation", too. That track was well mixed. I wish the whole l.p. would have been mixed as well. Green Power is another super-cut, well mixed, but could have used a dash of echo.
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5168 is a reply to message #5164] Tue, 17 April 2012 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to me, best of Reprise:

all of THE RILL THING

KING OF ROCK AND ROLL (for vocal only) / BROWN SUGAR (for vocal only) / GREEN POWER / BORN ON THE BAYOU

IT AIN'T WHAT YOU DO / SATISFIED, SANCTIFIED, TOE-TAPPER

BURNING UP WITH LOVE / IF YOU PICK HER TOO HARD

WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME

OPEN UP THE RED SEA

MISSISSIPPI (instrumental)

IN THE NAME (#1, unreleased until 2005)

MONEY IS

SHAKE A HAND
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5169 is a reply to message #5168] Tue, 17 April 2012 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard
I think Green Power might make my list as well... there's a lot of good stuff there.
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5170 is a reply to message #5169] Wed, 18 April 2012 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what a power track! really stands out on that album!
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5171 is a reply to message #5168] Wed, 18 April 2012 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think my Reprise list would be about the same. Glad I'm not the only one who likes the instrumentals Mississippi and Sanctified Satisfied Toe Tapper.

I would also throw in I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry from the King of Rock and Roll album, Rockin' Rockin' Boogie and Thomasine from The Second Coming and Southern Child and Last Year's Racehorse from Southern Child.

Michael
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5172 is a reply to message #5171] Wed, 18 April 2012 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard
I think there's a line that some of those tracks cross from the more credible Little Richard sound to that self-parodying camp he goes into. I enjoy the camp stuff, but when you talk about Little Richard as an artist I much prefer to remember the credible stuff. King of Rock 'n' Roll is a fun track, but it's not in the same league as the stuff from The Rill Thing in terms of credibility.

In fact, I think at times LR has harmed his own career with some of the wilder excesses, even though, for some reason, "Scuba Party" comes out as a track that goes through camp and into post-modern genius.

Thoughts?
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5173 is a reply to message #5172] Thu, 19 April 2012 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
great, thoughtful post.
Re: Top ten non-Specialty tracks? [message #5175 is a reply to message #5173] Fri, 20 April 2012 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Richard
Thank you Smile
Previous Topic: Modern recordings released on CD
Next Topic: The question that shouldn't be asked - Richard's hair?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Feb 24 19:23:32 EET 2021

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02049 seconds