Little Richard News Forum
Talking about Little Richard!

Home » Little Richard News forum » Little Richard » Meeting Little Richard
Meeting Little Richard [message #5055] Mon, 06 February 2012 03:16 Go to next message
Aurongroove
Hy forum.
Sorry for the insane post, I'm a Rockabilly singer from Ireland, and I've been a fan of Little Richard ever since I've began listening to him.

I was just wondering if there was any way of going about meeting the man himself or even just attending a show of his?
I'm sure lots of people have asked similar questions elseware, but I figured while I'm living on this planet I may as well try at least something to meet someone who is literally a living icon.

I sing lots of his songs and I try to do them justice, I also sing in a gospel choir here (in Ireland!) at mass and I feel I can really relate to his life, swerving between rock 'n' roll and the sacred.
When I was young I assumed I would to be a priest when I were older and I feel I may or may not have ignored a calling into the role, but the church over here has had a lot of problems and in my early adult life I decided to be a singer instead, singing both in sacred setting and in rock bands.
I feel Little Richard is in many ways my greatest musical influence, even before I listened to him, when I began looking into his life I found countless parallels.

I don't claim to be a Little Richard impersonator, that would be an insult probably to the man himself and also misrepresent me as well. I realize I'm from a different age, and from a different culture but there is a transcendent 'realness' to Little Richard that you can't find in other 'rock 'n' roll' artists of his time. A type of genuine relevance that you can normally only find in sacred music or in Blues, some Jazz and some Classical music. It;s just so obvious when you know what you're listening too, yet it's almost impossible to explain.

It's just a funny thing that I feel so close to LR because I've spent a lot of my professional life singing his songs and feeling something of the passion and the ideologies if not for life in general then for music, yet I've never physically even shook his hand. I;ve shaken other hands, sporting heros, local heros, moral heros, but one of the most important living figures in my life, I've not ever dared to think about about seeing him in real life.
Re: Meeting Little Richard [message #5064 is a reply to message #5055] Tue, 07 February 2012 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goodrocking
Do you have a CD or a Youtube upload?
Re: Meeting Little Richard [message #5076 is a reply to message #5064] Mon, 13 February 2012 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurongroove
As in an upload of me singing? nothing professional I'm afraid.
I have a recent recording here of a Good Golly Miss Molly!

http://soundcloud.com/rocksoc/rock-soc-good-golly-miss-molly

I wasn't a fan of it at the time because the vocal take wasn't amazing, so I suppose it's the worst possible thing to post, but it's the only recent thing, I've been busy working to pay off some university fees so I can't afford to go recording things.
Re: Meeting Little Richard [message #5077 is a reply to message #5076] Mon, 13 February 2012 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goodrocking
Really good - sounds like McCartney sped up. One of the best "covers" of Richard out there.

Now...do Heeby-Jebbies (!).
Re: Meeting Little Richard [message #5078 is a reply to message #5077] Mon, 13 February 2012 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aurongroove
You're too kind, I think? (Paul McCarthy sped up! lol, that's a new one)

I'd actually love to know if there is a way of finding decent quality LR Backing tracks. especially one like 'Without Love' or Cherry ed where a big band are involved.
Re: Meeting Little Richard [message #5087 is a reply to message #5055] Sat, 25 February 2012 18:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard
That was really good actually.
Re: Meeting Little Richard [message #5206 is a reply to message #5055] Thu, 03 May 2012 23:20 Go to previous message
NJCRN
Richard will be performing this Sunday in Memphis, TN here in the states. I rather imagine that is short notice for you to travel. Keep watch on the Forum and you will often see notice of performances that are further out timewise. Contact the venue, purchase a ticket and book a flight. I know I make it sound simplistic, but prior to his break from performing after surgery, I was at pretty much every show for 3 years and that's what I did. You also may wish to message the architect of this wonderful site, Timo. He has traveled from Europe several times that I know of to see Richard. Good luck and I hope to see you at a show sometime soon...NN

Richard Lover!
Previous Topic: DO YOU FEEL IT? (The Second Line)
Next Topic: Little Richard to perform at Beale Street Music Festival 2012
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Sep 22 05:59:24 EEST 2021

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00676 seconds