Little Richard News Forum
Talking about Little Richard!

Home » Little Richard News forum » Little Richard » God's Beautiful City
God's Beautiful City [message #1699] Thu, 28 February 2008 19:52 Go to next message
Anonymous
Hi,

in "Life + Times of LR" are -9- tracks listed according to the contents of the original issue "WORLD LP-1001".

Is there less to find on the Black Label reissue?
(I only find data, that there are only 4 tracks on the A-side + B-side with his "Testimony I + II.)

-->
http://www.artistdirect.com/nad/store/artist/album/0,,121340 ,00.html

Or is it so that some song parts maybe included in

Little Richard's testimony I + II ???

Does anyone have the track list from

-WORLD LP
+
-BLACK LABEL LP

to compare or know it better?

Thanks!

Regards,
Olaf from Germany

Re: God's Beautiful City [message #1700 is a reply to message #1699] Thu, 28 February 2008 20:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timo
Administrator
The testimonies on Black Label include the three "missing" songs.

Timo

[Updated on: Thu, 28 February 2008 21:01]

Report message to a moderator

Re: God's Beautiful City [message #1702 is a reply to message #1700] Thu, 28 February 2008 21:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Both the World release and Black release contain the same material. I loved this album, especially "God's Beautiful City" and "There's Someone Worse Off Than I Am". My only complaint about it is that is was all too brief...too short. The whole program would only make up one side of an average album. Richard should have included at least four more songs.
Paul.
Re: God's Beautiful City [message #1711 is a reply to message #1702] Mon, 03 March 2008 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Thanks, Paul + Timo

I hope it is on its way from the U.S. to Germany during this week.

Olaf
Re: God's Beautiful City [message #1728 is a reply to message #1702] Thu, 06 March 2008 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beau Z.
On a 1979 Mike Douglas Show, Little Richard sang live to a track of "There Is Someone Worse Off Than I Am" from this album, which Mike held up to the camera lense - a different cover (World label) than the later reissue (Black label).

As I've written, this is a Grammy-worthy effort by Richard. It's pure Richard. As a vocalist, he always interesting, but there were times he seemed to be imitating his imitators, or just didn't have his heart in the material. On this album, he delivered a true career-statement on vinyl.

I find that the title tune may have a pressing defect. Any comments on that?

I was disheartened that this great album was not picked up by a major label at the time of Richard's resurgence through Dr. Rock's book. Of course, Richard performed at least three songs from this session on television in the '70s and '80s.

I spoke to a very important behind the scenes figure in the making of the record. He expressed to me that Richard was so serious at this session, he purposely stayed away from the piano, for fear that the keys might concede to "Rock and Roll" and affect the musical/Spiritual mission.

Beau

[Updated on: Thu, 06 March 2008 07:05]

Report message to a moderator

Re: God's Beautiful City [message #5193 is a reply to message #1728] Wed, 02 May 2012 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
olaf
Found a nice photo stream on "flickr":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/biggodlittlerichard/with/6043846098/

Not only "God's Beautiful City" but for me impressive photos of the masters of that record!

Have a look at the others, too.

Great old history!

Kind regards, Olaf
Re: God's Beautiful City [message #5194 is a reply to message #1728] Wed, 02 May 2012 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goodrocking
In early 1980, on the Mike Douglas Show, Richard again lip-synced another GOD'S BEAUTIFUL CITY track, "It Is No Secret (What God Can Do)".
Re: God's Beautiful City [message #5195 is a reply to message #5194] Wed, 02 May 2012 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timo
Administrator
Richard recorded "It Is No Secret" already in '63 for Atlantic.

Timo
Re: God's Beautiful City [message #5196 is a reply to message #5195] Wed, 02 May 2012 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goodrocking
That Atlantic B-side is, for some reason, one of my least-played Richard sides! Along with 3-4 tunes from the Mercury album.

Interesting that Richard recut the tune and not in a very different approach.

Pretty sure that the '80 lip-sync was the backing track from GOD'S BEAUTIFUL CITY. Played *that* vesion about 75 times! Smile

Beau '12
Re: God's Beautiful City [message #5197 is a reply to message #5193] Wed, 02 May 2012 17:55 Go to previous message
QueTee
olaf wrote on Tue, 01 May 2012 17:06
Found a nice photo stream on "flickr":

http://www.flickr.com/photos/biggodlittlerichard/with/604384 6098/

Not only "God's Beautiful City" but for me impressive photos of the masters of that record!

Have a look at the others, too.

Great old history!

Awesome!
Previous Topic: She Broke Down?
Next Topic: DO YOU FEEL IT? (The Second Line)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 02 22:02:39 EEST 2021

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00487 seconds