Little Richard News Forum
Talking about Little Richard!

Home » Little Richard News forum » Little Richard » Rumoured recordings - "Pick It Up" - 1975
Rumoured recordings - "Pick It Up" - 1975 [message #3205] Tue, 05 May 2009 05:56 Go to next message
Keeponknockin
Hi there,

Refer Wiki ; Pick It Up (presumptive title) 1975? (song performed in concert, 1975; conceivable studio cut or reference demo; no copyright file)

I can't say for sure, but gut feel tells me that "Pick It Up", performed live at Radio City Music Hall in Oct 75, was little more than an improvised filler along similar lines to "Let Me Show You Where Its At" and "We Gotta Go", performed occasionally in his live shows over the past 10 - 12 years.

Is this song worthy of a place in the Wiki, even as a rumour?

Glenn

[Updated on: Tue, 05 May 2009 05:57]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Rumoured recordings - "Pick It Up" - 1975 [message #3206 is a reply to message #3205] Tue, 05 May 2009 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beau Z.
Richard said, as I recall, "here's a song I made up". It had plenty of lyrics which did not *sound* extemporaneous. The band was locked into a very tight arrangement, which had verses and vamps. (Although my "Rock and Roll Heart" belongs to the Upsetters and The Crown Jewels, that 1975 orchestra was outtasight!!!).

Also, I'm going to check Paul MacPhail's book for said (presumptive) title around that time, in other venues. 'Believe I saw that title there.....

Beau
A "conceivable" recording is certainly not a "rumoured recording". In the the spirit of the "etc" in "Rumoured Recordings, etc.", I added it in: a serious stretch, I admit. But because "Pick It Up" sounded like a finished arrangement in October of 1975 on the stage of the Radio City Music Hall in New York City, I thought a formal or informal recording might exist and thus be something conceivable on a future collection of the uncollected. To this fan, a very interesting possibility.

[Updated on: Thu, 07 May 2009 09:35]

Re: Rumoured recordings - "Pick It Up" - 1975 [message #3912 is a reply to message #3206] Sun, 21 March 2010 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beau Z.
Checking Paul's new LR book, I did find the songtitle "Pick It Up" in a 1975 setlist from a Magic Mountain concert.

So, not long after, I got a chance to watch The King perform it live at the Radio City Music Hall, in Manhattan, New York, on the 22nd of October, 1975.

As I wrote before, it sounds like something professionally arranged, with fun lyrics, including a rapp, over one chord - something like (a slower) "Going To A Go-Go".

"Pick It Up" doesn't appear in the U.S.A. Copyright Register, although who knows if had an alternate title?

Maybe Seaburn "Candy" Hunter or Keith Winslow has the low-down on this "lost" song?

Beau
Re: Rumoured recordings - "Pick It Up" - 1975 [message #3915 is a reply to message #3912] Sun, 21 March 2010 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Beau Z. wrote on Sun, 21 March 2010 00:00

Checking Paul's new LR book, I did find the songtitle "Pick It Up" in a 1975 setlist from a Magic Mountain concert.

So, not long after, I got a chance to watch The King perform it live at the Radio City Music Hall, in Manhattan, New York, on the 22nd of October, 1975.

As I wrote before, it sounds like something professionally arranged, with fun lyrics, including a rapp, over one chord - something like (a slower) "Going To A Go-Go".

"Pick It Up" doesn't appear in the U.S.A. Copyright Register, although who knows if had an alternate title?

Maybe Seaburn "Candy" Hunter or Keith Winslow has the low-down on this "lost" song?

Beau

Bit confused here Phil.

When you write-

"Checking Paul's new LR book, I did find the songtitle "Pick It Up" in a 1975 setlist from a Magic Mountain concert. So, not long after, I got a chance to watch The King perform it live at the Radio City Music Hall, in Manhattan, New York, on the 22nd of October, 1975."

- do you mean you watched it not long after you read Paul's book ?

Is it only listed in Pauls book once (at Magic Mountain) ? So then is the purpose of your post to point out Paul has made a mistake because you-

"got a chance to watch The King perform it live at the Radio City Music Hall, in Manhattan, New York, on the 22nd of October, 1975."

Or did in fact you just watch and not actually hear the song performed? Confused
Re: Rumoured recordings - "Pick It Up" - 1975 [message #3916 is a reply to message #3915] Sun, 21 March 2010 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beau Z.
I watched and actually *heard* LR sing a song that had the words "Pick It Up" repeated over a "Going To A Go-Go" type beat, on the 22nd of October, 1975, which was "not long after" the appearance Paul wrote about.

In the year 2010, I bought Paul MacPhail's second book on Little Richard and saw that he listed a tune called "Pick It Up", as being performed around the same time I attended the week-long oldies festival at the Radio City Music Hall.

I looked up the above-mentioned detail yesterday, not 35 years ago.

I have been blessed to have eyesight and hearing, which I have applied concurrently on many occasions. The sense of hearing is one of many I value and not in a boastful way, as many people do not have that gift, having others.

[Updated on: Sun, 21 March 2010 09:37]

Re: Rumoured recordings - "Pick It Up" - 1975 [message #3918 is a reply to message #3916] Sun, 21 March 2010 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Keeponknockin wrote on Tue, 05 May 2009 03:56

Hi there,

Refer Wiki ; Pick It Up (presumptive title) 1975? (song performed in concert, 1975; conceivable studio cut or reference demo; no copyright file)

I can't say for sure, but gut feel tells me that "Pick It Up", performed live at Radio City Music Hall in Oct 75, was little more than an improvised filler along similar lines to "Let Me Show You Where Its At" and "We Gotta Go", performed occasionally in his live shows over the past 10 - 12 years.

Is this song worthy of a place in the Wiki, even as a rumour?

Glenn

Beau Z. wrote on Tue, 05 May 2009 05:19

Richard said, as I recall, "here's a song I made up". It had plenty of lyrics which did not *sound* extemporaneous. The band was locked into a very tight arrangement, which had verses and vamps. (Although my "Rock and Roll Heart" belongs to the Upsetters and The Crown Jewels, that 1975 orchestra was outtasight!!!).

Also, I'm going to check Paul MacPhail's book for said (presumptive) title around that time, in other venues. 'Believe I saw that title there.....

Beau
A "conceivable" recording is certainly not a "rumoured recording". In the the spirit of the "etc" in "Rumoured Recordings, etc.", I added it in: a serious stretch, I admit. But because "Pick It Up" sounded like a finished arrangement in October of 1975 on the stage of the Radio City Music Hall in New York City, I thought a formal or informal recording might exist and thus be something conceivable on a future collection of the uncollected. To this fan, a very interesting possibility.

Beau Z. wrote on Sun, 21 March 2010 07:25

I watched and actually *heard* LR sing a song that had the words "Pick It Up" repeated over a "Going To A Go-Go" type beat, on the 22nd of October, 1975, which was "not long after" the appearance Paul wrote about.

In the year 2010, I bought Paul MacPhail's second book on Little Richard and saw that he listed a tune called "Pick It Up", as being performed around the same time I attended the week-long oldies festival at the in October of 1975 on the stage of the Radio City Music Hall in New York City,

I looked up the above-mentioned detail yesterday, not 35 years ago.

I have been blessed to have eyesight and hearing, which I have applied concurrently on many occasions. The sense of hearing is one of many I value and not in a boastful way, as many people do not have that gift, having others.

Thanks for taking the time Phil.

That goes some way to clearing up your mess and hopefully people don't think you were trying to embarass Paul and question his excellent book, which surely wasn't your intention.

As we all know, the Wiki became a total mess and an embarrassment with all those ridiculous "presumptive' recordings, rumours and possibilities. I rarely see it these days, but I hope it was changed because this song clearly, as Glenn says, wasn't worthy of inclusion and hopefully you reviving this thread 10 months after it was started won't give this very questionable theory any more credibility and confuse the matter further.

Re: Rumoured recordings - "Pick It Up" - 1975 [message #3924 is a reply to message #3918] Mon, 22 March 2010 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Beau Z.
My "Mess" is a matter of perception.

As far as embarrassing Mr. MacPhail, that's quite a stretch: Our Man From Down Under wondered if "Pick It Up" wasn't a kind of spontaneous performance [OMFDU please correct me if I'm wrong], so I wrote that I wanted to check Paul's book to see if it may have been a setpiece at the time.

Is the "embarrassment" that you think I believe that the song was *not* done at Magic Mountain but at Radio City? In my opinion, the only "embarrassment" herein is the attempt to embarrass me for no good reason.

I suggest you review Timo's "netiquette" post, as it relates to harrassment over this site.

Re: Rumoured recordings - "Pick It Up" - 1975 [message #3927 is a reply to message #3924] Mon, 22 March 2010 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Keeponknockin
Hi Beau,

Took me a couple of minutes to figure out what OMFDU meant, then I realised you were referring to ME!!!

I stand by my original post of May 09. Through your kind generosity of many years ago, I was able to listen to the rendition of 'Pick It Up' from 1975. I would have to say it didn't sound spontaneous to me; more like one of those repetitive little dittys Richard occasionally reels off in concert to fill in a few minutes. I believe 'Let Me Show You Where It's At' and 'We Gotta Go' fall into the same category.

Stay happy....everyone.....please...

Glenn "TMFDU".

[Updated on: Mon, 22 March 2010 05:55]

Re: Rumoured recordings - "Pick It Up" - 1975 [message #3928 is a reply to message #3924] Mon, 22 March 2010 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Beau Z. wrote on Mon, 22 March 2010 00:39

My "Mess" is a matter of perception.

As far as embarrassing Mr. MacPhail, that's quite a stretch: Our Man From Down Under wondered if "Pick It Up" wasn't a kind of spontaneous performance [OMFDU please correct me if I'm wrong], so I wrote that I wanted to check Paul's book to see if it may have been a setpiece at the time.

Is the "embarrassment" that you think I believe that the song was *not* done at Magic Mountain but at Radio City? In my opinion, the only "embarrassment" herein is the attempt to embarrass me for no good reason.

I suggest you review Timo's "netiquette" post, as it relates to harrassment over this site.

And I suggest Bee Zee, that you think a little more before you post.

Smile
Re: Rumoured recordings - "Pick It Up" - 1975 [message #5338 is a reply to message #3912] Wed, 24 October 2012 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seabrun candy hunter
I am Seabrun Candy Hunter, And to shed a little light on the songs I collaborated on or co-wrote with Little Richard were Rockin Rockin Boggie, the Hall of fame song, and incidentally I'm the only artist that Richard produced a recording on, Written by me a-side was titled "I Saw What you did" and the b-side was titled "Standing Right Here" both recorded at Pete Drakes recording studio in Nashville about 1974! When I would come to a show and surprise Richard He would always play with me and the audience and tease us by playing the intro to our song "I saw what you did" But it was recorded on me! Richard took care of the copyright so I'm not sure how it was logged,I am seeking info out on those songs. I wrote the lyrics for a song called "Somebody Cares" But sold it for money to finance other music I was creating at that time. During the years I toured with The King Of Rock we would sit around and make up melodies and story lines to songs all of the time so it isn't unusual for you to hear something not recorded by him because he makes them up all day long and can play them at random being a first class pianist. I've Written many songs to be recorded in the near future and one is being displayed on the internet as "I want to be more" (than just your friend)! Since retiring from the road I have combined song writing with God's gift of Poetry and have a series called MIRACLES with Barnes & Noble and so much more has happened to and for me. Google me and see what's new going on! Watch-out I'm still around! Keep me in your Prayers!

seabrun candy hunter

[Updated on: Thu, 25 October 2012 15:15]

Re: Rumoured recordings - "Pick It Up" - 1975 [message #5396 is a reply to message #3205] Sat, 19 January 2013 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Richard
It's so obvious who "anonymous" is, isn't it? Laughing

What happened to good manners?

Interesting thread though, thanks for the pointers to this new material.
Re: Rumoured recordings - "Pick It Up" - 1975 [message #5406 is a reply to message #5396] Fri, 08 February 2013 11:52 Go to previous message
Simon White
Richard, "Anonymous" was me. Laughing I don't hide my identity and ever have.

However I did ask the site owner that some, if not all of my past postings relating to Mr Phil Silverman (or whatever name he chose to use as there were more than two) and his many many many confusing, ridiculous, misleading, nonsense statements were removed. As that wasn't possible, this was the solution.

Something read and taken out of context can appear not to be "good manners" especially on an internet forum. I find it's often "good manners" to know the history of something before posting. Smile
Previous Topic: Sad, but true (as of today): LR Not Booked Into Orleans in Las Vegas
Next Topic: Paul
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 02 22:39:04 EEST 2021

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00434 seconds