Little Richard News Forum
Talking about Little Richard!

Home » Public Forums » Little Richard » Where is Keep a Knockin'?
Where is Keep a Knockin'? [message #4847] Tue, 23 August 2011 13:18 Go to next message
amfortas is currently offline  amfortas
Hi... I would appreciate your help with a problem I have concerning the 1956 film Mr Rock and Roll. I remember seeing this film in my local cinema in 1957 and have a vivid memory of Richard singing two songs "Lucille" and "Keep a Knockin'". Over the 54 years since then I have never seen the "Keep a Knockin" scene anywhere on tv or the internet although "Lucille" from the film is often aired. Recently I saw the the DVD of the film Mr Rock and Roll advertised for sale on the internet and ordered a copy. On playing the disk only "Lucille" is featured. I am convinced I saw the missing scene back then.
As film of Richard back in those early days is very limited, finding this scene and making it available to his many fans would be very satisfying. Can anyone help?
Re: Where is Keep a Knockin'? [message #4848 is a reply to message #4847] Wed, 24 August 2011 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
goodrocking is currently offline  goodrocking
I read that Keep A-Knockin' was included and was disappointed to find the film sans Knockin'.

I would also love to know if such a print exists!

Thanks, Beau
Re: Where is Keep a Knockin'? [message #4851 is a reply to message #4847] Wed, 24 August 2011 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul is currently offline  Paul
My cousin Don McNeill and I seen the movie when it was first released late in 1957. It did have both songs. I remember the drummer was really going to town on the beat in "Keep A-Knocking". Every time I seen the movie after that at Drive-Ins or TV, the song was cut out. Guess they figured it too wild and edited it out later. Also, the single 45 of "Keep A-Knocking" had it listed under the title "from the movie Mr. Rock & Roll".
The original film must exist somewhere of this great performance.
Re: Where is Keep a Knockin'? [message #4854 is a reply to message #4851] Thu, 25 August 2011 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
Paul wrote on Wed, 24 August 2011 20:11
My cousin Don McNeill and I seen the movie when it was first released late in 1957. It did have both songs. I remember the drummer was really going to town on the beat in "Keep A-Knocking". Every time I seen the movie after that at Drive-Ins or TV, the song was cut out. Guess they figured it too wild and edited it out later. Also, the single 45 of "Keep A-Knocking" had it listed under the title "from the movie Mr. Rock & Roll".
The original film must exist somewhere of this great performance.

This is really interesting stuff. Dr Rock lists the song as being in the movie too, and both amfortas and Paul saw it at the time of it's release. If Keep a Knockin' was recorded and released on 45 in the same year as the film, it begs three big questions - was the movie version lip synched to the record version (or like The Girl Can't Help It was it a different version) and at what point was it taken out of the film version - and why?
Re: Where is Keep a Knockin'? [message #4855 is a reply to message #4847] Fri, 26 August 2011 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wonder if two versions of the movie exist, one for the USA and one for Europe, and the USA version has both songs? Then we might all be seeing the European cut over the past several years.

It really makes sense that Richard would have done two songs in that movie, as he did two (or more) in his other 1950s movies.

Beau
Re: Where is Keep a Knockin'? [message #4856 is a reply to message #4855] Fri, 26 August 2011 22:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anonymous
goodrocking wrote on Fri, 26 August 2011 00:44
I wonder if two versions of the movie exist, one for the USA and one for Europe, and the USA version has both songs? Then we might all be seeing the European cut over the past several years.

It really makes sense that Richard would have done two songs in that movie, as he did two (or more) in his other 1950s movies.

Beau

Possible Phil, but as you saw the movie in the US I suppose there's every chance you saw the US version? Smile

Paul, Australia could have seen either an US or European version I guess?

I've slowly come to realise I've never actually seen the movie at all !
Re: Where is Keep a Knockin'? [message #4857 is a reply to message #4856] Sat, 27 August 2011 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Who knows? Possibly a Copyright issue caused a deletion to happen?

Beau
Re: Where is Keep a Knockin'? [message #5677 is a reply to message #4857] Wed, 21 February 2018 23:10 Go to previous message
Willem Moerdijk is currently offline  Willem Moerdijk
Glad to find out I'm not the only one who has seen it. I saw the movie in Antwerp in a movie theatre around 1972. That copy had both songs as well. And it was lip-synched to the regular version.

I can think of more reasons for deleting the song:
Sometimes films got damaged and parts had to be removed. Or the fact you could clearly see Richard's face was covered in a thick layer of make up. (the Keep a Knockin' clip had lots of close-ups of his face).

It looks like we have reports from people who saw it, from both sides of the Atlantic now? Maybe we should start looking in film museums for a complete copy of the movie?
Previous Topic: Keep A-Knockin' (Specialty master): End of legend
Next Topic: A photo with the Beatles
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Jun 21 20:01:07 EEST 2021

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01282 seconds