Little Richard News Forum
Talking about Little Richard!

Home » Little Richard News forum » Little Richard » May 6 2012 concert by Little Richard (Memphis' Beale Street Music Fest Sunday night)
May 6 2012 concert by Little Richard [message #5233] Wed, 09 May 2012 05:18 Go to next message
LittleRichardForever
http://www.fuse.tv/2012/05/little-richard-rocks-beale-st-mus ic-fest-despite-broken-hip
It's a very nice review of the King, with equally nice comments below from readers.
Re: May 6 2012 concert by Little Richard [message #5234 is a reply to message #5233] Wed, 09 May 2012 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LittleRichardForever
In case the link itself stops working in the future, here's the text:

Little Richard Rocks Beale St. Music Fest Despite Broken Hip: The 79-year-old pioneer apologized for having to perform seated, asked for prayers
By Joe Lynch

Little Richard--one of the ground-level architects of rock n' roll--played Memphis' Beale Street Music Fest Sunday night, delivering an invigorating set in spite of his own health problems.

After being wheeled up to his piano on a characteristically ostentatious golden throne, Richard repeatedly--and unnecessarily, I might add--apologized for his suffering health.

"My hip broke instead my body and they haven't taken it out yet," Richard explained to the audience after a few songs. Richard underwent hip replacement surgery in 2009. "I've been through a lot." Before leaving the stage, he asked, "y'all pray for me to heal my body." But don't freak out! It wasn't a desperate plea--he just sounded like he was covering his bases.

"I'm sorry I can't do it like it's supposed to be done," he said, sounding genuinely downcast. The audience--a cross-generational crowd reflecting his enduring influence--let loose with a protective roar of love. "Do you really still love me?" Richard asked. "Oh, you gonna make me scream like a white girl."

Speaking of screaming, that was the only musical part of his show where his fatigue became obvious. His fingers danced over the ivories with nimble assurance and he seemed in control of his 10-person backing band, but he fell noticeably short when attempting that hair-raising scream.

But his poise and charm kept the crowd jubilant. While Richard playing "Tutti Frutti" in 2012 isn't as dangerous as in 1955, originals like "Ready Teddy," "Long Tall Sally" and "Good Golly Miss Molly" still hit the ear with an undeniable ferocity.

His take on rock disciple Paul McCartney's "I Saw Her Standing There" was smokin' enough for the lady next to me to start moshing, and his puckish intro to a cover of Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock and Roll" was a hilariously bizarre little interaction. "I need two people to come and dance for me," Richard said, to which the audience screamed their affirmation. "Can I get a big fat girl and a big fat boy?" After that, there weren't so many volunteers. He ended up settling for an average-sized, all-female group.

Overall, it was an incredible show from a talent whose body may not be what it used to be, but whose stage presence hasn't diminished one iota.
Re: May 6 2012 concert by Little Richard [message #5236 is a reply to message #5233] Wed, 09 May 2012 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DoctorRob
Enjoy the Beale street performance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYYQQoVKDyc

it starts at 1.26 min., and ends on 13.15 min.

Robert

[Updated on: Wed, 09 May 2012 15:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: May 6 2012 concert by Little Richard [message #5241 is a reply to message #5236] Sat, 12 May 2012 22:10 Go to previous message
FERNANDO GIL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1w2N_EL9wM
is true that the camera focus is not well focused, and that the audio
quality is regular. - But this video anyway lets enjoy 9 minutes and three good
songs, like Blueberry Hill, Bama lama and Old Time rock'n roll. It is clear to
me that the tone of blues songs (like Blueberry Hill) favor the performance of
Little, both pianistically and vocally. - Although it vocally weak note and the
obviously lacks of fitness shows, I'm in overall very satisfied with the
performance of Little Richard on his return after a long time of inactivity. I
wish he continue recovering the training of show, and in June 14 in New York.
Fernando

Previous Topic: David Cassidy on Little Richard
Next Topic: 2012 re-issue of Here's Little Richard
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 02 21:36:16 EEST 2021

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00275 seconds