Little Richard News Forum
Talking about Little Richard!

Home » Little Richard News forum » Little Richard » Report From Las Vegas
Report From Las Vegas [message #5427] Wed, 03 April 2013 07:58 Go to next message
Buck18
Richard did indeed play the 16th Viva Las Vegas Show this past weekend. It was a surrealistic setting for Richard---a combination of Mardi Gras in New Orleans and a Fellini movie, a combination of many cultures (tattoo, 50's, Bettie Page, car clubs, pachuco, motorcycle gangs, etc.), but we all loved Richard. He is, bless him, very frail. His voice wavered when he sang, and he had to be reminded what keys to play in and what songs to sing. His piano playing was strong, however. He played his usual hits, mostly the choruses without the verses. Two wonderful highlights: a stunning version of Ray Charles' "I Got A Woman," and a lovely sing-along to "Irene Goodnight." He kept reminding the crowd how old he was, and that he was in constant pain, but he did manage to get off a few "Shut-Ups." When his handlers lifted him off the stage, tears came to my eyes. The audience gave him lots of love---but he has always given us even more. Bless you, Richard.
Re: Report From Las Vegas [message #5430 is a reply to message #5427] Wed, 03 April 2013 21:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timo
Administrator
I can't recall hearing him do Have Mercy Baby before. Also the instrumental was interesting.

Timo
Re: Report From Las Vegas [message #5431 is a reply to message #5430] Wed, 03 April 2013 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buck18
Timo: So you were there? On the bus from my hotel to the Orleans I sat next to a guy who came all the way from New Brunswick (Canada) just to see Richard. It was a surprisingly international crowd---and they weren't there to see Vikki Tafoya (who isn't bad, by the way). Yes, there were some surprises and some touching moments. What stuck me was how kind his band is to him. As the night went on, he seemed to get a little stronger, perking up (naturally) when some girls got up on the stage to dance. What struck me was the crowd. An incredible mash-up of cultures, all getting along. The girls, especially, dressed in their Bettie Page dresses, were like Birds of Paradise----colorful, with streaks in their sometimes outrageously colored hair. It was a great experience for me.

[Updated on: Wed, 03 April 2013 22:39]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Report From Las Vegas [message #5432 is a reply to message #5431] Fri, 05 April 2013 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timo
Administrator
Yes, I was there. I've never seen Richard listen to his band members so often, as he is, however, in charge.

Timo
Re: Report From Las Vegas [message #5434 is a reply to message #5427] Thu, 11 April 2013 22:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NJCRN
Thanks, Timo. I am in great fear that I may have missed the last show. I just keep praying that there will be one more sometime in the next few months. At that point, I don't care where it is or what holiday it might be...I will be there. So sorry also to have missed you and thanks for the calls...it really made me feel better.

Richard Lover!
Re: Report From Las Vegas [message #5435 is a reply to message #5431] Fri, 12 April 2013 19:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NJCRN
He always seems to get more into it the longer he's onstage. I am convinced the audience is to him what water is to a dry sponge!

Richard Lover!
Re: Report From Las Vegas [message #5439 is a reply to message #5427] Sat, 20 April 2013 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lonely Summer
Glad the Architect is still playing the occasional shows, but it brings tears to my eyes reading "how frail he is", how much pain he is in. Just a reminder, I guess, that even the Quasar is human, and someday will be taken from us.
Re: Report From Las Vegas [message #5441 is a reply to message #5439] Mon, 29 April 2013 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Buck18
Yes, he is frail. But he is still an incredible performer. I went to enjoy the music and also pay my respects. It's not often that you get a chance to see such an important figure in the history of music. I know we have tried and have always encountered beurocrats with a deaf ear, but he truly is a national treasure and should certainly be saluted as a Kennedy Center honoree.
Re: Report From Las Vegas [message #5455 is a reply to message #5431] Thu, 06 June 2013 14:35 Go to previous message
twon
Im the guy who came all the way from New Brunswick (Canada) to see the concert! It was an amazing experience. I managed to get front row center (directly infront of his wheel chair!) and I even managed to get alittle personal souviner (the water bottle he drank from at the concert) im very glad I got to go see the concert as unfortunately it might be one of his last.
Previous Topic: Celebration on Richard's 80th birthday on BBC
Next Topic: The Fabulous It's Real
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon Aug 02 22:48:38 EEST 2021

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02158 seconds